"Dear Mr. Vernon,We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong, but we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are.
You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, in the most conventional definitions. But what we found out, is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal.
Sincerely yours,
The Breakfast Club."
First of all, if you haven't seen The Breakfast Club, I highly recommend you do so.
The Breakfast Club is about a group of five teenagers, all from different stereotypes who are stuck in a detention on a Saturday for the day. You would think that a film with a limited cast of only seven people, five, of which are stuck in a library together, would be a pretty boring film. You would be so wrong if you were to think that. The amazing direction that came from John Hughes, as he managed to turn such a simple storyline that was written in a fortnight (with the traditional stereotyped characters) into a 97 minute film, is totally worth watching.
Stereotyped characters used:
Jock, recluse, nerd, rebel and prom queen
Of course, if this were to be a modern day film they would need to add an extra two stereotypes to the mix: Hipsters and chavs.
Throughout the film, you learn more about the characters and you feel that you can relate to at least some part of one of the characters. It does, however, touch on certain issues. It isn't too strong as Hughes manages to make sure he keeps humor to the film whilst still keeping teenagers in a true light (unlike some films that make up the most unrealistic shit).
In many different films and programmes such as Easy-A, The Simpsons, Family Guy and One Tree Hill, etc... There are references to this film, and to me, that makes it so much greater, as it has affected other people other than myself. One quote referring to The Breakfast club that I loved the most was Emma Stone in Easy-A, "I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life". What I love most about this quote is that I feel it relates to me, and I'm pretty sure more people out there feel the same.
As if the script and characters were not good enough, the music was a special add on, including the famous 'Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds'. If the music and the fact that I said it's great doesn't convince you to watch it, maybe this will? (click 'this')
In a normal Hollywood movie, a film usually has a happy ending, but with this film, you neither get your happy ending or your unhappy ending and that's what I find most satisfying. What I mean by satisfying is that almost every film has a happy ending, which people are unhappy about and an unhappy ending, which again, people are unhappy about. What Hughes does is show the audience the truth behind almost every teenager and brings the sad but true fact that even after a day of spending time with each other, come Monday, everything will most likely be the way it was before (see the film to understand what I mean), HOWEVER, how he leaves the film is for you to make up what happens on the following Monday. Does the nerd stay the nerd? Or has he found a good friend in the jock? Only you can decide.
“And these children that you spit on as
they try to change their worlds are immune to your consultations. They’re quite
aware of what they’re going through…” – David Bowie.
No comments:
Post a Comment